If you have read my previous posts, you’ll probably have a sense that I am pretty comfortable with easy and quick. This is one of those recipes too. I bought pre-prepared lasagne sheets and used a can of Italian chopped tomatoes for the ‘pasta sauce’. This doesn’t take much time to put together, is tasty and allows you to spend more time watching a movie, sharing a glass of wine, or going for a walk (yes, that’s right, the last option is the one we all do).
Serves 6. Turn on oven to around 180C.
- 500g Pork mince
- 150g Ricotta Cheese
- 100 g baby Spinach roughly chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Lasagne Sheets (one packet)
- 400g can tinned Italian diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons pesto
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
- Combine pork, ricotta, spinach, eggs, mixed herbs and pepper in a large bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Take lasagna sheets and cut into 2 or 3 sections depending on the size of your lasagna sheet.
- Spoon the pork mixture onto the centre of each sheet of lasagna, then roll the sheet to enclose the filling. Brush each edge with milk to seal the join.
- Mix canned tomatoes, pesto and tomato paste in a small bowl (to save dishes perhaps the one you already mixed the pork in – I would)
- Put a tablespoon or so of the tomato mixture into the bottom of the dish you are going to bake the cannelloni in.
- Place each roll, seal side down in a baking dish in a single layer.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the cannelloni and sprinkle the top with the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
- Serve warm with salad or vegetables. We had fresh lettuce from the garden (first of the season – and it is Very Good), with some sliced red pepper, finely chopped chives and shredded fresh basil leaves, finished with a bit of raspberry vinegar and olive oil.